Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Transfer case stuck in neutral...switch on dash (electronic)

Customer Question

Transfer case stuck in neutral...switch on dash (electronic) manual lockouts on wheels. Drive shafts doesn't turn at all in 2 or 4 wheel hi or low.
Got stuck engaged while in drive by accident.....nothing since.....checked all fuses....tried luck.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: Yes.......will check.....??
Is that related to the transfer case?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 350 super duty
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Deciding......nothing but check the fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No....
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 28 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

A transfer case in neutral means it is stuck between high and low range. This can be a concern with just about any part of the system except the switch. The more likely causes would be the shift motor and the shift forks inside the transfer case. If you remove the shift motor, can you manually shift the transfer case back in 4 high or 2wd?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 23 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris