Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Truck was running rough now it won't start at all, I pulled

Customer Question

truck was running rough now it won't start at all, I pulled the ICP sensor and turned it over and no oil came out of the hole, I also pulled the fill plug on the HPOP and turned it over and the level in the HPOP did not rise. Is this a good indicator that my IPR is bad?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

No that is a sign either the low pressure pump has quit or the oil level has gotten so low the pickup cannot reach it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any way to test for that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know my oil level is fine but is it possible that the additive I used for cleaning the engine could have made the oil too thin or something?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

That is quite possible, if you put a lot of additive in the oil and the pump is getting worn, it also could have flushed debris into the relief valve for the pump and stuck it open, there is a large hex plug on the front pump cover, inside this is the relief valve, remove this plug and the valve and spring should slide out, if it doesn't then the valve is stuck, remove it and check for scoring , if its good reinstall it and you should be good to go.