Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Will start unless you jump it. Just silonoid click, but

Customer Question

Will start unless you jump it. Just silonoid click, but replaced starter two weeks ago because of same problem. Also after trying to crank and release key gouges jumping around.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The jumping gouges and starting both about 8 months now.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 freestar with 4.2l
JA: Are you fixing your Freestar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checking fuses and relays and replaced starter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Guess not
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Battery has been check good as well.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay if its going dead on you requiring a jump, has the system been checked for a draw?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

If the battery checks to be good but you still needing to jump it then the next step would be to have a draw test performed to determine what is drawing the battery down. Low voltage from the battery will also cause the gauges to wig out as well .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I do that myself?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Do you have access to a volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay, I have enclosed the steps in the link below to perform the battery draw test which will help you isolate the source.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Batter%20draw%20testing%20Sept%2023.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Ron