Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

The left rear foor, which is a half door latch won unlatch

Customer Question

the left rear foor, which is a half door latch won unlatch on top
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 f250
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes to first question. so far I have the inside door panel off the inside door release handle off and the out side door openner loose. I do see any way to actually get to the cables or rods that unlach the door
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that the top latch is the only one not working.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

You are correct, when the cable is faulty, there is no way to get to the door latch. Disassemble your other door so you know what it looks like at the latch. You will need to drill a 1/2 inch hole into the inner door skin hidden by the upper trim panel. Now you can get a pair of needle nose pliers or screwdriver into the latch to get it to release so you can open the door, remove the latch and replace the faulty cable.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My Reply: I didn't much like drilling a hole in the inner panel of the door after removing the inside panels to expose the steel panel. So I didn't. I also ddin't like the answer of removing the parts on the other door to see what the broken latch should look like. What I wanted to know was how to get to the latch and cable assembley on the top latch. All I explained was what the problem was, expecting someone to tell be how to get to the lacth so I could remove the cable and latch at the top, which is only removed by taking out three torx bolts, as I found out by working my way through the problem. Also by removing the three bolts at the top latch, which were some what difficult,the door now opens. Further working through the problem of being able to not to get to the lactch I finally realized that if i removed the speaker from the door panel I could reach up inside the door and at least figure out where the latch really was. The latches are not where the door handles were, there behind the speaker somewhat and by cutting away the plastice on the inner door panel it exposed the mechnisem that actualy did all the work to open the door latches, and by cutting away the plastic it exposed where the cables were mounted. Once all that was exposed I had the cables out in less that 5 min. I suppose that drilling a hole would allow you access to where the outer latcher openner is and would give you access to the rods that would open door. But, after finally getting everything exposed, it would probably have been easier, and makes more sense to me, that after gettng door open to remove the plastic panel, remove the speaker from the door to keep from damaging it. and cut away the plastic to expose the latch hardware. and remove the three screws at the top latch to remove the latch and cable. It would have been easier and quicker than what you told me to do. because it didn't explain what to do after you got the door open. Your answer was incomplete to solve the problem. All you told me was a way to get the door open. doing what you said would have left me asking another question and another 28.00 dollars, and if I didn't ask it exactly right, I think I would have gotten another incomplete answer. What say you.

Is the door now open and the upper latch cable now fixed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
willhave the part to fix it by Friday. Thnaks Robert

Glad your getting it resolved.