Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Its circled, 05 F350 no power to radio ,powerwindows, tach

Customer Question

its circled
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 05 F350 no power to radio ,powerwindows , tach and other gauges don't work have power when cranking ,starts then loose the power ,truck still runs
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: fluctuates hit top of dash works sometimes
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, just powerprobe fuse block no power to half with key on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Which engine do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
6.0
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

I would say you almost definitely have a problem with the instrument cluster. If you can bang on it and the problem goes away there is probably a break in the circuit board where the main connector plugs into the cluster. You will probably need to have the cluster replaced or rebuilt. There are a couple of companies on ebay that offer instrument cluster rebuilding, but I couldn't recommend a particular one.

If you want to test it for sure and you have some time to tinker with your power probe you can check the following:

First use a voltmeter to monitor the voltage on fuses F2.2, F2.33 and F2.45 in the Central Junction Box (CJB) (interior fuse panel) when the problem occurs. Verify that the fuses show normal battery voltage (around 12 V).

If the fuses show normal voltage, access the instrument cluster connectors. At connector C220a (the Black (BK) 26 terminal connector) check the voltage on pins 13 Red/Yellow (RD/YE) and 22 Black/Pink (BK/PK), and 26 Light Green/Orange (LG/OG) with key on. Also check in connector C220b (the Blue (BL) 26 terminal connector) pins 13 and 19 Black/Light Green (BK/LG) wires also for normal battery voltage. If the voltage is spiking high on any of the wires when the problem occurs, check for any add-on equipment or anything that could be inducing voltage above battery voltage in to the circuits and repair as needed.

If the powers are OK, check the grounds at pin 10 Black (BK) wire in C220a and pin 12 Pink/Orange (PK/OG) wire in C220b. Repair either ground as needed.

If all the powers and grounds are good when the problem occurs and a code B1317 for high voltage returns, suspect an internal instrument cluster problem. If the instrument cluster is replaced, it will need to be configured with a factory scanner.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.