rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2004 Escape that the transmission slips in drive go

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Escape that the transmission slips in drive go does not slip in 1st or 2rd gear. I have seen responses from ford techs here that this is a very common problem with the 2-4 band breaking.. I have followed this lead and removed the pump only to find out the band is intact. now I believe all things point towards the servo controlling the band right? I took the servo out last night but trying to determine the common failure mode for the servo? Sticking?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 28 days ago.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:

Check fluid level and color.Make appropriate repairs.

Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and this is the easiest way to check them.

Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside pan.

Check valve body and clutches visually.

Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just were a bit low on fluid.

This procedure will unfold the problem, we don't want to guess.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Fluid level was fine and was not burnt.. There is no pan to drop on the CD4E transmission however we drained the fluid and did not see any clutch material or metal filings in it. I don't have a scan tool capable of doing the solenoid check. Seeing online that the band and or servo seems to be a very common problem I went straight to removing the pump..
See link below
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 28 days ago.

Okay, I saw the link you sent me. Good advice. I would have continued with additional information for you as you conversed with me too:)

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
now that the Pump is removed and I inspected the 2-4 band it appears to be good (Not broken). In your experience what else could be the problem? I am contemplating on replacing the servo for the 2-4 band..
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 28 days ago.

That would have been my next suggestion too seeing that you had very little metal shavings. Too bad you can't get a scan tool hooked up to that. You can get one from most parts stores for free, just a deposit. I sure like to see how those shift solenoids are working.

Thanks, Ron