Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I tried to start it and it just clicked and won't turn over

Customer Question

I tried to start it and it just clicked and won't turn over and the lights came on and won't turn off
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: This just happened. I parked the truck 2 days ago. And went to start it and it clicked and even after I turn the key off it continued to click click click and then the headlights came on and won't turn off
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: It's a 2006 F150. Another weird thing is I'm driving my wife's car so she's got a key to my truck on her car and so I use that key to unlock and try to start the car and I wonder if that has something to do with it. It's not the key I normally use
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just went to start the truck and it wouldn't start and all I got was this clicking noise
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I guess that covers it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is*****'ll do my best to help you.

Can you tell where the clicking is coming from, like inside the truck or outside?

Also, do you know if your battery is fully charged?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Battery should be charged fully. The clicking continues after I have taken the key out. The clicking sounds like it's coming from the back seat area. I think I may have triggered the passive and type theft system. I tried a key that I normally don't drive with and that's when it happened
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had my wifes keys in my pocket and I knew that she had a key to my truck on her key chain and so I decided to just use it instead of going back in the house and getting my keys. When I tried to start the truck, I got nothing but the clicking noise. Went back and got my keys and noticed the same thing. The clicking sound is odd. I can make it stop by turning the lights on and off except the lights don't come on I just turned the switch for the lights and the clicking will stop
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it is the PATS system, and I think it is, what're are my options?
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.

Your description sounds like a weak battery to me. Do you have the ability to check battery voltage or jump start the vehicle? Many times once the battery voltage drops below a certain point, around 10 volts, there will be odd behavior seen. Even with the key off several computers are still active for a time and can cause issues.

If the battery is charged there is a quick way to check and see if the issue is PATS related. Turn the key to the on position. Just to where the lights in the instrument cluster come on, but not trying to crank the engine. On the dash there is a red LED. When the key is turned on it should illuminate three to five seconds and go out. If this occurs the issue is not PATS related. If the light flashes quickly then it is PATS related.

If the issue is PATS related and neither key will start the truck you will need to take it to someone that has a scan tool capable of diagnosing and programming the PATS system.

For now I recommend checking the battery voltage, or jump starting the vehicle to see if that works.