Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

Well i drove it the other day and the baterry6 went dead the

Customer Question

well i drove it the other day and the baterry6 went dead the alternator quit and the started ground on the flywheel a bit so i have replaced the alternator /battery and the starter but it wont crank over
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes i have and the local shop tested it for me this morning it was 12.77
JA: What is the model of your '12 Ford?
Customer: its an 05 f250 5.4l xlt
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i've changed the battery alternator and starter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when i did get it to start earlier its was making a grinding noise and wouldn't stay running so changed the starter checked the fuses but i think i have to change the starter relay but i can't find it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

If you go to the passenger side of the truck where the battery is, look on the fender area just behind the battery, you should see the starter relay. Check that you are getting the power in like you should. It looks like a little solenoid.

If you are referring to the square standard relay, it is in the box under the hood. I can get the position for you if needed, but if you are getting 12 volts to the solenoid, you are getting power through that standard relay.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i see two small wire clip connections but no relay box/module that i can see
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 month ago.

I'm pulling up your diagrams for the starter.

I know fuse 2 in the central junction box is the starter relay fuse. I'm pulling the rest for the whole circuit. Give me about 3-4 minutes while this gets pulled, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i drove dove down to the local mechanic and he printed a scematic of the fuse box for me i took out the old starter relay and the tabs on the relay were rainbow in color (lke they got very hot) so i replaced it, and the truck does nothing different when I try to turn it over it just goes uh and dosen't turn over, do i have to reset anything after changing the battery/starter/alternator/starter relay
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 month ago.

I tried to respond to you and the question was closed for some reason.

No, there wouldn't be anything needed to rest it. That rainbow color could mean thee is a wire corroded internally or melted behind that fuse box. I suggest pulling it up and taking a look to see if there are any melted. If you have a multimeter, test the pins that you have power on 2 of them and ground on two of them when you are turning the key with the relay pulled out. That will confirm you have no issues going to the relay. If you have one of them that has no power or ground, look on th relay for the pin number. That will let you know what circuit it is. With that, it can then be traced to another issue going on or a wire issue.

CLICK HERE for the diagrams for the start circuit and the layour on yor truck. I tried to put these up, but the question closed at 652 PM EDT and I couldn't do anything after the last response...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my multi meters pins are too big to fit in the hole. I give up and i'm having it towed now. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 month ago.

I use a paper clip cut in half to do it.

Bummer on getting it towed.

Please let me know what the outcome is told to you.