EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My 2012 Ford Edge is driving me. The Inside warning always

Customer Question

My 2012 Ford Edge is driving me nuts. The Inside warning always says the drivers door is not closed. Red warning lights up. And then the dome light does not go off because of it. Or sometimes it takes a long time for it to go off. I think it is telling the light that the door is still open. I've tried simple things like oiling the door. But even if I slam it hard it does this. Sometimes I get lucky and the warning does not come on. But that is only about 1 out of ten. Just closed it about 5 mins ago. I need to go check if the dome light is still on. Why is this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jon Pell replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer! My name is***** will do all I can to resolve this as soon as possible for you! Please give me a moment to review the information.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Well this sounds like a door switch problem either sticking or loosing it's connection. The switch is in the door opening and looks like a plastic pin probably has a rubber cover over it open the driver's door and play with it wiggle it and push it in hard see what it does , if it flickers then it needs replacing. if nothing you may have to remove the trim behind it to bridge the wire to ground and check to see if that works and if that works it still the switch Hope this gives you a few things to try and find your problem.

Expert:  Jon Pell replied 2 months ago.

If you have the codes checked It should appear for a door sensor that has just gone bad telling the computer the door is still open. The first step would be to check and see if there are any codes stored in the computer. If you dont own a code scanner just about every parts house will scan them for free for you if you dont mind doing that and letting me know the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, I'll try that.
Expert:  Jon Pell replied 2 months ago.

Great! Just reply back with the results and that way we dont waste any money on something we dont need to replace although it is most likely a switch. Thank you!

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The one guy said here there was a little pin I can try to wiggle and push. Sure don't see not pin. Where is the door sensor?
Expert:  Jon Pell replied 2 months ago.

Most of the time they are right by the door latch assembly and sometimes they have a small rubber cover over it, I will check to see if I can find a picture to send. I just wanted to check the code first because it could be something as simple as spraying out an electrical connector so I never start off with saying replace this part even though that's the likely outcome I know how hard money is to come by these days so I always like to be sure before spending money :)

Expert:  Jon Pell replied 2 months ago.

I was just checking up on this question to see if you needed more assistance or not.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. A different expert here. There is a service bulletin from ford for this door ajar light problem. The problem is because a dirty hall effect sensor in the drivers door latch. At the dealer there is a special tool that is installed onto the door latch to clean and correct this concern. But if that latch has been oiled already it is possible that it will have to be replaced. Please respond if you would like more info on this, or the bulletin. Thank you.