Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I filled up my 2012 yesterday after taking it through a car

Customer Question

I filled up my 2012 yesterday after taking it through a car wash and the car would not start. After driving it for a half hour to work everything was fine but this morning my car started feeling weird sitting still and the check engine light came on. What could be the issue. It's a used car and I'm not sure what gas was in it before I filled up the tank. Help.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It does not blink it just comes on and stays on
JA: What is the model of your '12 Ford?
Customer: Awd
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not fixing it myself. Just trying to find out why the light came on today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can mixing E85 and regular unleaded will cause this problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me the model of your 2012 as well as the engine size please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is an awd Ford Edge not sure on engine
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Unless your Edge is designed to burn E 85 fuel you do not want o mix them. That being said the check engine light comes on when the computer sees a system fault and when this happens the system will detect it and set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is causing the light to come on the first thing that need to be done is to have the system scanned to see what the fault code and or code is that is setting. Most auto part store such as Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge. If you can stop by and get the code and or codes retrieved I can advise you on what is failing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if my car says E85 on the capless tank I should be using E85 fuel instead? Would I have to empty the tank and fill up with E85?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Yes if it calls for E 85 then thats what you should be using. How much fuel is in the tank now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3/4 of a tank I filled it up yesterday
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

That may be the problem, I think you should run as much of it out as you can and then top it off with the correct fuel and clear the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and see if the light returns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I run the gas out of it. Why would a car be only E85
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If the gas cap calls for E 85 then thats what the engine is designed for.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

You can run it out by driving it.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Knowing the fault code and or codes that are setting would also be very helpful for determine the cause of the light to come on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will send a picture of my gas tank when I get on break in a half hour.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay, Im here all day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would putting regular unleaded into the car cause it not to start up either after putting gas in?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

No regular gas should not have caused the no start. The problem would be if you put E 85 in one that is not designed for it. Putting regular gas in yours could cause performance issue but should not cause a no start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In my drivers manual it says 87
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay then the fuel is not likely the issue, can you get the scan done and post back with the fault code. That will tell us what we need to know as far as what is causing the problem your having.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not until later in the day
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Your Edge is likely considered a flex fuel vehicle which means you can run both regular unleaded 87 octane or E 85 100 Octane. If in fact that is the case and I suspect it is then the fuel is not the problem. The check engine light will tell us what going on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where can I find that my Edge is flex fuel. There is no sticker on the car like my moms Ford Escape had
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

In most case its written on the emblem on the fender and or the deck lid. Give me your vin number and I can also look it up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2FMDK4KC5CBA34380
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Your Oasis report shows you have a 3.5 engine and its not showing you have a flex fuel system. See it in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/oasi%20Sept%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
meputting regular unleaded into my car is okay
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Yes that is correct. Gas is not likely the issues so where back to the scan to see what the fault code is that is setting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is my gas tank
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

That indicates you do have a flex fuel vehicle which means you can run both type of fuel so fuel is not the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What if the gas in my car before I filled it up was E85 and I put regular unleaded into it
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If in fact you have a flex fuel which is looks like you have it should not matter. It should run on both with no issues.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even if it's mixed.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Yes if its a flex fuel engine. In order to determine what is failing here we need to know what the fault code and or codes are that have set when the check engine light came on.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If you can get the scan done I can advise from there with no guessing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will have to wait until later today
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

No problem , Im here all day. Post back when you can and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the code my in car device picked up P2198
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The code P2198 indacates the O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich - Bank 2, Sensor 1 is failing . In most cases this means the sensor is failing providing you have no engine vacuum leaks. I think you should remove the negative battery cable and clear the code and see if it resets and if so consider replacing the Bank 2 HO2S sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Plus the code P2196 as well
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Both of these code are for the Bank #1 HO2S sensor. If you do not have any vacuum leaks then in most cases this means the HO2S has failed. I would clear them first and see if they reset before you replace anything thing.