Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a code p088 and engine has lack of power when it

Customer Question

I have a code p088 and engine has lack of power when it sets
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes, with a Ford VCM scanner I have done the High preassure fuel test and it say spump is good.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: I have read where the fuel pressure control valve couold be stuck 2008 f550 with a 6.4l diesel
JA: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed out filters and reprpogram pcm
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: tcb 12-7-7
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The possible causes for this fault here are the fuel pressure control valve stuck of a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor.There is a fairly complex diagnostic test for this code to pinpoint the fault.The control valve can be common to fail as the cause here.If you would like the diagnostic info on how to test this here let me know and I can post it here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ahve also already change the fuel rail pressure sensor under the valve cover
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If this sensor was already replaced there is a good chance it is the control valve at fault.If you would like I can post the testing procedure for this code,it is extensive but will lead to the component at fault here for sure.Just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,give me a few minutes and I will upload the info here.