tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years

97 f150 4.2 2wd runs but won't drive. Rpms won't g r t over

Customer Question

97 f150 4.2 2wd runs but won't drive. Rpms won't g r t over 2200. Cats glowing red (they were just replaced)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it idle well?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No cel no codes

does it idle well?

wont go over 2200 rpms?please explain

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It idles at about 500 RPM fairly smoothly when you push the gas it will only go to about 2,000 and 2200 RPM you put it in drive gear or reverse gear it won't go over 500
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked the mass airflow sensor and the IAC valve both of them testing good
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also took both sides of the exhaust loose at the manifolds to make sure there was no clogs in the exhaust anywhere

you need to test the fuel pressure,,your fuel filter may be clogged or the fuel pump may just be weak and needs replaced..

it sounds as if you dont have enough fuel pressure

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuel pressure 37 psi

when it get to or close to the 2200 rpm,,does the engine pop and crack?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe A little. I checked the timing and It seems to be out a little bit. I'm gonna check it out this weekend hopefully

lets do that,,check the timing,,,i have seen bad coils do this also