Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

The charge light was coming on intermittently and I replaced

Customer Question

The charge light was coming on intermittently and I replaced the alternator yesterday. It went smooth and worked fine as I drove it around town. When I headed out on the highway, it shifted gears and the motor died. It restarted easily, but the light is on constantly now.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: In the readout, it looks like a battery with the +-
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought I could handle the job. Like I said, it went reallyy smooth
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The battery looks old. I was planning on replacing it before winter
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

Do you have a voltmeter you're familiar with you could use to perform a few tests under my guidance on the charging circuit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I'm typing at a desktop computer. It ran the battery completely dead last evening while I looked for loose connections or something not right. The tranny shifted really hard before the motor died.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The owners manual said that disconnecting the battery could make the tranny shift hard for a while. I was looking in the manual to see if there was a fuse on the alt.

These circuits suffer from voltage drops. Let me know when you're ready to work on the truck - I'm pretty sure we'll find the root cause of the problem. Until then, everything would be just speculation; something we techs try to refrain from doing as it usually leads to misunderstandings...