Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.

Rarely, my brakes feel like they are slipping. This has

Customer Question

Rarely, my brakes feel like they are slipping. This has occurred about 8 times in the last 6 or 7 weeks. When I press the brake, it feels like I am floating for a second and then I feel the brakes take over and then everything feels normal. At first I thought I needed brake fluid which I added although it was not empty. Yesterday it happened again, and the brake fluid was full. I also wondered if it was the Goodyear Viva tires slipping because this has happened several times when I turned a corner ever since the tires were new. It is frightening when it happens at a stop sign or a red light.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?
Customer: The brake fluid is not low, but it has never been changed with 75K miles on a 2008 car
JA: What is the model of your '08 Ford?
Customer: Actually, I have a 2008 mercury Grand Marquis.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, the only thing I have ever done to the car myself beside adding gas is to add brake fluid once.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Do you hear any sounds or feel any kind of vibration on the brake pedal when this is happening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

I have a sense that the brakes need to be inspected. By inspected I mean the wheels off, and the calipers and likely a slider service done to the brakes. Some shops will just pull the wheels off and tell you the brakes look fine, and that is NOT what you need here. You need to know that all the parts that slide are doing exactly that. This cannot be done without taking things apart and making sure they are working properly. It sounds to me like you have a brake pad sticking time to time giving you that feeling of not stopping. This can be easily addressed in most cases, but again, I really cannot tell you how important it is to have those brakes really looked at, you need to know they are working good and not just that you have enough brake pad on there.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!