Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Have a 02 Ford F250 Powerstroke 7..3 misfire

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello, what is your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I have a 02 Ford f250 powerstroke 7.3---no start turned out to be the hpop which failed---replaced still no start found all 8 injectors damaged by pump failure replaced with remans,--starts but slight idle misfire---found #8 passed buzz failed contribution--i=thought we bought a defect installed another reman same outcome---swapped with the one next to it and same outcome 8 was still not contributing--swapped out crank sensor and IDM with new still no change not sure what to do next to get cylender firing.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Have you driven the vehicle in order to get all of the air out of the oil system? have you tried replacing the IPR yet. The IPr can cause a slight misfire but it is random. The cylinder 8 contribution is a very common ghost code caused from the revised camshaft sensors. Ford knew of this issue when the recall for camshaft sensors was going on but did nothing to correct it. I work with a guy that just had a very similar concern. He replaced injector 8 three times for the failed contribution code. It ended up being the IPR causing the concern. This was found after installing the injector kill box and it would still randomly cut out even after cylinder 8 was already disabled.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

Check the connector for the injectors under the valve cover in the gasket harness, they have a habit of backing out, push the connector in tight and retry, if this is the problem there is a small clip to install to prevent this from happening. Let me know if you want the number for the clip.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would compression play into this no blow by just thought of itWill recheck plugs as Jim suggested tomorrow yes send part number
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would compression play into this no blow by just thought of it
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Compression can play into this but I don't think that is going to be the issue that you are having?

Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

The part number is ***** AB.