A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Power steering stopped while driving withour warning. 2007

Customer Question

Power steering stopped while driving withour warning. 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. Bought at the end of 2006.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: No whining noises at all. Not sure when fluid was last checked...I think i had it in for Service about 7 or 8 months ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: While I would have loved to have been a mechanic when I was younger - it was not something girls were encouraged to do 40 years ago. So I have done nothing but try to turn it off and turn it on again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for this service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Ford Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What is 'the rest'?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 months ago.

The 2007 Escape Hybrid has electronic power steering and does not use any power steering fluid. The power steering rack and pinion has an electrical motor on it that assists with the power steering assist. You will need to have the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) tested for trouble codes as it is a module and communicates over the wired network in the vehicle. You will need to find a repair shop that can test the systems properly to diagnose what is causing the problem.