Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

We have an early 2008 Ford F350 6.4 diesel truck and it has

Customer Question

We have an early 2008 Ford F350 6.4 diesel truck and it has started blowing white smoke from exhaust.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: The engine has 153,000 miles and it is original. There has been some bearing work done on the turbos and that is it.
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That is my hope. So far the only thing that has been done is a web search and the fuel filters replaced.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Have you determined what is causing the smoke yet?

What are you looking to accomplish with me? You really didnt ask a question so I dont know what you are looking for here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in the beginning stages of determining what the problem is. The major portion of my mechanical experience is in aviation and gasoliene driven automobiles. I am looking for specific information as to where i should start looking.

Start by checking your fluids. Particularly oil and coolant and see if either is low. Then tell me if you can smell what is burning... your exhaust should smell like burning coolant, oil or diesel. Also check for codes if you can.,. if you dont have a code reader most auto parts stores will check your codes free. Let me know what you find and we can try to figure out which way to go in testing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fluid levels are good, the smoke does not have the sweet antifreeze aroma, instead it smells somewhat rancid. The power level seems standard and the fuel mileage has not dropped.

OK. And how bout codes? Have you had it checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No i have not, there is not check engine light flashing or staying on as of yet.

That doesnt mean theres no codes. Youre best off checking it for codes first. It could save you a lot of unnecessary testing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have an older Snap-on MT2500 however i do not have a current reader card for my truck as of yet. Do you know which card i should pick up. I live in the country so there are not garages close by.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One of the thing i was thinking about is checking the TSB list against the VIN number and while i am in town have the codes read at the same time.

What software version is your brick running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could not tell you right now. How do i check for the software version. I have had this thing for several years now.

It should say on the cartridges if I remember correct. Its probably been ten years since ive used an MT2500 so double check it and if not let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wayne I know that i need an updated cartridge for the truck i am just unsure which one i need to purchase, I have one that runs through to the nineties. My access to the snap-on truck is limited due to my location. Perhaps you know of a site that will provide me with he information on cartridges.

You asked about the key.. not the cartridge ;) You are gonna want the 10.4 cartridge if you have to buy the cartridge.

Im pretty sure youre gonna need the K2A key. Im not sure on the cartridge.. this truck was made long after I upgraded to a solus and I rarely used the brick after that.

I believe you can use any ford cartridge with the K2A key and get some information but Im sure theres a cartridge that is best suited to your truck. I would suggest calling snap on to get the most accurate information on the tool. I dont want to steer you wrong.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure, will do any other ideas?

Have you tried checking for coded using the K2A and going in under generic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, i will do that later this afternoon and see what i come up with.Thanks Ardel

Let me know what you find and Ill let you know where to start based on your findings.,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great, how do we reconnect once this session is closed?

Bookmark the page or something and just come back to it, If you signed up using your email address you should have an email from us with a link as well.