A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I just bought a 2003 expedition and the previous owner does

Customer Question

I just bought a 2003 expedition and the previous owner does not know the code to unlock the doors. How can I find the code?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking for the "key code to unlock the doors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It locks with the same code as the last expedition I had. by pressing the 7-8 button along with the 9-0 at the same time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

The factory keyless entry code can be accessed 3 different ways. There should be a small credit card with the keyless entry code in the glove box with the owners manual. But if it is not there, which it usually isn't, it should be on a decal on the side of the VSM (Vehicle Security Module) mounted behind the dash on the far right side behind the glove box in the far upper right corner. See below picture. Yours should be similar.

But if it is not there, then you can stop by any Ford/Lincoln dealership and they can connect their scan tool to access the VSM and retrieve the keyless entry code. The factory code is permanent and cannot be erased, no matter how may times you change the code for your personal preference.