Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I don"t want a ford mechanic assistant. Is Stephano

Customer Question

I don"t want a ford mechanic assistant. Is Stephano available?? Looking for Ford/Liconl dealer mechanic
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 lincoln mkx FWD 3.16 ratio 6 speed automatic
JA: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Change speed input, output (TSS) + (OSS) P2704 p1705
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

You have codes 2704 and 1705 and you have replaced the TSS and OSS sensors, correct?

What symptoms are noticed while driving?

Do you have the diag steps for these codes and have done them yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you call me. I put in request. Thanks(###) ###-#### I am available now. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wait did they just charge extra $26 for call?? I prefer to chat if that is the case

There is an extra fee to get service by phone.

I can not call anyways because I have no phone service where I am.

Can you respond to the questions I asked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is not what we intended anyways. We will provide details

Thanks, ***** ***** your response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Car started with lights on dash for traction control. Car acted up can't recall exact details but this went away after car was turned off. It happened a few times but again the car was reset with no lights after. Next started noticing car would loose power while driving mid to high speeds. Would fail to accelerate. Causing me to seek safety and pull of road. Then turning off the engine car hesitated to drive, having to floor accelerater, high Rpms finally car driving very slowly. Would not accelerate to a higher speed. Then, after car in park tried to go reverse with very harsh and loud thump. Various lights on and off including tire pressure, slippery road, and cant recall others however they were temporary. Turning car off and on at a later point would reset car with no lights. ..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We did not drive the car for a period of time we felt it was not safe. Then we tried again and the car would engage 1st and 2nd gear then would slip out of gear like going in neutral with high rpm but no power
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A local mechanic found 2 codes with his obd scanner. P2704 just after starting the car and P1705 after driving a bit with the gear slipping out to neutral.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had a local mechanic change the speed sensors TSS and OSS. After that the same symptoms occured with P2704 only and finally got stuck in reverse, meaning that when shifting to Drive and accelerating, the car goes backwards!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think that is about it

1705 means the transmission range sensor is bad or is out of adjustment. The wrong gear selected position signal is being sent to the PCM.

2704 mean your overdrive clutch has failed and gears 4-5-6 are being effected.

Repairing code 1705 is needed first. Can you do these steps? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/testD.pdf

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, approximately how much labor is needed for this work? And does it involve physically tearing down and inspecting the valve body? Once i finish this, how do we deal with P2704? Finally, i should mention that the car is currently shifting from park to reverse and neutral smoothly and without any harsh engagements. Only when selecting Drive 1 or 2, it will go in reverse. After fixing the issues with 2704 and 1705, should this resolve the problem with the car going in reverse?

1705 labor between 1.5-2.0 hours.

2704 labor 14 hours

Code 1705 can cause 2704 so you may not even have to address it.

These repairs will address the codes, if overhaul comes out to be needed for 2704 then all trans concerns would and should be fixed while the tech is inside.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will repairs correct the car going in reverse? Is the transmission range sensor in the valve body?

Yes the transaxle repairs will fix the concerns with reverse.

The TR sensor is on the valve body.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok just wanted to be clear. Will fixing the TR sensor address the issue with car driving only in reverse??Or could this be a valve body issue??Or only repaired by tearing down the internal transmission??

When diagnosing a transaxle failure you have to address the known issues noticed by the computer. Those would be the codes. You have to diagnose and fix all the codes prior to diagnosing and fixing any symptoms.

Will fixing the TR sensor address the issue with car driving only in reverse?? It can, the only way to know is by doing diagnostics.

Or could this be a valve body issue?? A valve body concern can be to blame for these issues but not for the TR sensor code.

Or only repaired by tearing down the internal transmission?? It is possible an overhaul will be needed.

If you can do diagnostics then I can provide the steps to do to determine all the repairs that will need to be done.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris