Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Wow. A light appeared on the said, "check fuel cap". I

Customer Question

Wow. A light appeared on the said, "check fuel cap". I replaced the cap but the light is still on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: on the dash in front of the steering wheel, a warning light
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only replaced the fuel cap
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've had lots of electrical issues with the vehicle. Ex, Door ajar
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

When the check fuel cap light comes on, many times this can mean more than just a faulty or loose fuel cap. This can also mean there is a leak in the emissions system somewhere, or one of the components has failed. First and foremost is to address the fuel cap. If you have already replaced the fuel cap, make sure the replacement cap meets Ford OE specs. Many of the aftermarket "universal" caps will not meet specs and do not seal the system correctly. If you are certain the cap is good, you will need to put some miles on the vehicle. Drive a combination of city and highway for roughly 50-75 miles. During this time, the on-board computer will notice the new cap and that the system is now sealed and the light will clear itself. The light does not clear immediately after cap replacement. If after this time the light has still not cleared, then there is a problem elsewhere in the system. The next course of action is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be more easily found and replaced. If the smoke test proves no leaks, then individual EVAP system items will need to be tested and inspected. Make sure to carefully inspect all rubber vacuum lines around the fuel tank area for any signs of cracks, holes or disconnections at this time as well. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Kris! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

..