Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist

06 mustang when you turn off sometimes will not restart.

Customer Question

06 mustang when you turn off sometimes will not restart. Fuel pump replaced. And fuse. Picked up yesterday from shop. This afternoon would not start again. Checked fuse blown again any idea where to check now? Thanks in asvance
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We replaced fuse today. Was in shop twice in two weeks. Fuel pump replaced last.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has 122000 miles Oreollys diagnostic tool today said fuel throttle position sensor was not working correctly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, an ASE master certified technician, and I will be happy to help you with your Ford Mustang.

What fuse keeps blowing? Can you give me the fuse number, and what fuse box is it located so I can look up more information about your vehicle.

What engine is in your Mustang?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a 15 amp fuse in the engine compartment. Checking # now. Slot 41 4.0 engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Someone just said the theft system may be going out.

Ok thanks,

If the theft system were a problem, it would not cause fuse 41 to blow. An anti-theft problem would cause a start and stall condition and a flashing security light on the dash. I do not suspect this is causing your concern.

Fuse 41 powers the fuel pump relay and fuel pump. If fuse 41 is still blowing after a new fuel pump it is highly likely you will need to replace the fuel pump driver module (FPDM)

The fuel pump driver module controls the fuel pump voltage, and this module can short out internally causing the intermittent problem you are experiencing. I would recommend replacing the FPDM. It is located in the spare tire storage compartment.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.