James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Its an Arctic Work truck and the DEF System is disabled, the

Customer Question

Its an Arctic Work truck and the DEF System is disabled, the truck just coded Engine Idled and the system is not in place anymore so truck cant work, it is 3000miles from a dealer and only accessible by boat or plane
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: cant reset it Its states Exhauld Fluid failt Exhaust folter 0% Filter**
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: **Fault
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: F-350 SuperDuty 2013 I believe but have to go check
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: manufacture date is 05/12
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im in the middle of nowhere so yes, so far, tried reving the engine at 3000rpm for 10min and let stand for 1min 2x disconnected the batteries for 20min tor try to reset ecu
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have no access to a dealer or internet except by satellite there are no roads to get here and the Exhaust fluid system is bypassed
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Hello, did you just remove the DEF system when this happened?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the system has been removed from when the truck was new, it now has 40,000km and just coded
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

If the DEF tank was removed originally you need to have a programmer to be able to bypass the government regulations. Either something happened with the programmed software or is someone updated the software without knowing this modification. they could have caused it to happen as well. A programmer is what is used to trick the vehicle into notknowing the DEF is missing. Do you know who removed the system originally.