Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

89 F150 shifter goes up and down when truck not running.

Customer Question

89 F150 shifter goes up and down when truck not running. Locks in park if engine is running.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not looked at truck, it's four blocks away from my location. I'm 75 and it would take me a while to get there. In process of maybe buying it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is not a fuse. If it were a fuse it would either always or never work. Its something with the shift interlock... usually a bad solenoid. It is activated when the engine is running and not when the engine is off with the key on. If you can get the truck there and have a multimeter I can help you test it. Just let me know. Otherwise at least you have an idea of what it is before buying it. Even if you have to have a shop repair it the bill should be under a couple of hundred bucks. That should help you decide if its worth buying.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks.