kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have 1993 Ford Explorer 4.0. I have all gears except

Customer Question

I have 1993 Ford Explorer 4.0. I have all gears except revers and overdrive. Is this a solenoid issue if so where and how do I change.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

If you do not have o/d then most often this is a band problem. The over drive band is the front band. You will need to drop the pan and see if the band adjuster has come out of place. You may need to replace the servo as well as adjust the band.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
does that mean reverse has its own selenoid or are they both related

Revers has a band as well. The revers gear is not controled by a solenoid. It is possible that the servo for revers has gone bad as well, or the band has broken. Many times if the o/d band adjuster comes apart, it can get lodged in the revers band, and break the band. You really need to drop the pan first and see what all is in the bottom of the pan. Once you have the pan off we can do some digging to see what is going on. There really is nothing you can do or test from the out side.

If you will drop the pan, I will walk you through how to check and adjust the bands.