Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I had a water pump failure that has caused me to do an

Customer Question

I had a water pump failure that has caused me to do an engine replacement on a 2010 Taurus. It is the 3.5l without turbo. The engine i am taking out has a 3 bolt oil cooler on the engine block. the replacement engine does not have the same oil cooler bolt pattern. Are there 2 different blocks ? or do i have the wrong engine?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine coming from the same model and year and if not what model and year vehicle is the engine coming from so I can look into this for you?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was bought by supplying the VIN . Supposed to be a compatible engine. the key info in finding the engine was the W as my 8th digit in the vin#
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,since the oil cooler bolt pattern is different from one block to the next they had to have sent you the wrong block/engine.You need the oil cooler on this model to cool the oil properly and with it being different my bet here is you received an engine from a different year that isnt fully compatible.

The only way to make it compatible is to obtain the oil cooler components for the engine you are installing to make it work but this will most likely lead to replacing more components to make the oil cooler work properly which can be more expensive then obtaining the correct engine.

I would contact the place you had purchased it from and let them know the difference here and they should be able to see they supplied the incorrect engine.If it was me I would obtain the correct engine and see if you can trade with the engine you did obtain.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete