Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2001 ford focus is wanting to die when i stop at a light

Customer Question

My 2001 ford focus is wanting to die when i stop at a light or even when Im in park. When its night time I see the light wanting to go out too. I bought a new battery, checked alternator and was good. Im assuming it has to do with vacuum leaks and or idol control valve needs to be cleaned or its just being a punk.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im fixing it with my uncle. I changed Spark plugs and the wires, already checked for vacuum leaks and broken hoses and nothing, also checked if alternator was bad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just want to know what I need to do to fix this. My friend is telling me it could be the distributor. I am honestly clueless and new to fixing cars but I dont think its electrical, even though the car losses power when idle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** are on the right track. Most of the time this is vacuum related. It is either a vacuum leak, an EGR valve that is stuck open, or a failing idle control valve. Most of the time it is the idle control valve. It rarely helps to clean it, but you can give it a shot. The most common source of a vacuum leak on this engine is the intake manifold gasket.