Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2011 Focus. Front wheel bearings went out at around

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Focus. Front wheel bearings went out at around 60,000 miles. I replaced them twice now. Car has 110,000 miles now. Is there some secret to this assembly. Why did they make it so difficult to press in new bearing and hub?
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: no other problems except noisy wheel bearing on driver side. I had a mechanic replace the right side about a year ago. Also replaced axle seal on driver side
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I did the replacement of the wheel bearings on my car and also my son's car(exact same car, exact same problem.)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I used a hydraulic press on all occasions, but not sure if the factory has some special jig to make sure everything is straight. Should I just take the bearing off myself and take the rest to be pressed in by a machine shop?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** have to be pressed in using a collar that presses on the outer part of the bearing, if you press on the inner, it will damage the bearing and cause it to fail prematurely, did you use a thin collar to press it in?