Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

My air bag light is flashing on my ford van e 250. It first

Customer Question

My air bag light is flashing on my ford van e 250. It first flashes four times then it flashes 7 times . Could dog hair in the seat belt connector cause this? Is it dangerous?
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: Not that I can find. I have had a big husky dog sitting in the seat for a month while I dog sit.
JA: What year is your E250?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I have played with the wires under the seat. I have used a file to feel the inside of the seatbelt connector. I have gone on utube to find the code of 47
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This has happened in the past and playing with the wires on the drivers side has helped. This code reads to be the passenger side. I hit a deer 5 years a go and it first started. The repair shop resolved the problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

The air bag code #47 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the passenger's side seat belt. If there is excessive hair built up in there, this very well may be the root of the problem. Try to clean the belt assembly as best you can. If the code does not clear, then the passenger's side belt assembly/pretensioner will need to be replaced.

In the meantime, it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. Only drawback here is, in the event of an accident, the air bags will not deploy and the passenger's side seat belt will not keep correct tension on the belt keeping the passenger safely in the seat. So, just use a bit more caution when driving.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.