Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2004 f150 reduced engine power light comes on and the

Customer Question

2004 f150 reduced engine power light comes on and the temperature gauge immediately pegs on hot. When the engine is turned off and restarted everything resets to normal. There is no reduction in power and the engine is not over heated.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: The coolant level is fine. there is no pattern to this. The truck may run fine for an hour or malfunction several times in a matter of minutes.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a friend's shop. He put the analyzer on it and got no engine malfunction codes. He suspects maybe a sensor malfunction or a loss of ground causing electronics to malfunction.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Engine size please?

Have you scanned the computer system to see what fault code and or codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not a mechanic. I want to know what the possibilities are so that I don't have to pay $90 an hour to check things that are unnecessary.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The most common cause for this type of problem is in most cases caused by a failing CHT (cylinder head temp ) sensor. See the link below . To access it you will need to remove the intake .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will try this. I will get back to you.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Its the most common cause and I suspect its the cause of your issue as well.