Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford 332 V8 engine. Has been running fine, switched it off.

Customer Question

Ford 332 V8 engine. Has been running fine, switched it off. wold not start next day. Getting fuel and had spark at plugs. Pulled valve cover and discovered all exhaust valve push rods were bent, one really bad. Easy to replace rods, but want to know what would cause this happen so as to avoid this in future. Had this same problem with a a Ford 390 V8.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Have you lined up #1 cylinder on the compression stroke at top dead center and checked your valve timing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did this prior to discovering push rod problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

And did the engine line up, was a compression test ran and if so what where the readings?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did not find a problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Bending push rods on all cylinder is in most cases caused by a valve timing concern. Have you ran a compression test and if so what are your readings?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Compression test not done. Engine had performed really well. Saw no need.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Timing was my first thing to check, but of course if its not running cannot check timing.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Well since it bent the push rods that would be the next steps. Something has to a miss here if your bending push rods and there is no coolant in the cylinders.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I replace the push rods and then check compression?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's just the exhaust valves.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Yes that would be My next move. The push rods have to be in place to operate the valve for the compression test.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. I will do that. This car is a survivor '59 Fairlane Galaxie and I want to keep it a matching number car.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay lets get this done and post back with your findings and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get the rods and proceed and get back with you when the work is completed. Thank you!
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Sure thing, Im here all day if needed.