roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I put a 2012 5.4 2 valve motor in my 2002 ford van witch had

Customer Question

I put a 2012 5.4 2 valve motor in my 2002 ford van witch had a 5.4 2 valve I'm pulling a cam code po340 motor pulsate when I unplug cam sencer truck runs fine what the diferent between the 2 motors that I can't figure out same blocks wondering if timeing diferent do I have to reprogram the pcm don't no stump no one seams to have a answer mabey you can help
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the motors are the same. the cam sensor and gears are the same as well.

the used motor may have an issue. the cam codes come from possible worn timing chain, guides or tensioner. this all needs to be checked to verify there is no issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The 2012 motor came out of a van that my friend had it had 30,000 miles on it it was hit in the rear
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

ok, you still need to check these items. I have learned never to assume anything.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I used van a week before it ran fine no codes do I need to reprogram the pcm
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

no, not necessary. the pcm does not know you change the motor

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still stumped looks like so are you no ever done it before so no one nose if it will work dident have code in eather van even checked newer van pcm no codes checked for pinched wire to about ready to pull motor out and put brand new one same year
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

I have done many of them. common failures are guides, tensioners and the chain itself.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then why does it run fine when you unplug cam senser
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

it goes into a de fault mode. the pcm substitutes a know good value to make it run ok.

Roy