Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My truck died and won't start back up! No problem there, I

Customer Question

My truck died and won't start back up!
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No problem there, I believe it's the stupid anti-theft
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 04 Expedition
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnecting the battery, I hear a clicking noise in the rear on passenger side
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm miles from home at work and I really need to get it started and hope that it doesn't cut off on me on the freeway
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the theft/security light flashing on the dash when the key is turned on or after trying to start the engine and releasing the key at all?

Do you hear a hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank area at all when you first turn on the key or when cranking over the engine?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on your questions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No dude, I'm at work and not a mechanic. I'm just trying to get it started to get it to a mechanic
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,in order for the theft system to actually cause a stall out issue is if the PCM (engine computer) has an internal fault.The theft system will disable starting if the key is not recognized or if the transceiver is faulty but these two components wont cause a stall out here.

Unfortunately there isnt a manual relearn on this model here to relearn it quickly to operate it again.What will have to be done (and I know you may not want to hear this) is to have a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers to have the fault codes checked in all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.

I suspect that if the theft system caused the stall out and is now causing the no start the only component I can see that will cause this is the PCM and it would need replaced and programmed but you will need to have the codes checked as this will help diagnose and repair this fault.I wish I had better news but some models like this here there is no manual relearn to correct this.It requires the dealers WDS machine for any relearns.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete