James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Power steering light came on when there was a flat tire. And

Customer Question

Power steering light came on when there was a flat tire. And I change the flat tire and the power steering light is still on and disabled.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: There have been no whining noises previously. Not sure about the fluid.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 Ford fusion hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then I reconnected the battery in order to try to reset the electrical system
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There had been no warning lights previously, but the flat tire power steering and tracking lights all came on simultaneously
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 month ago.

Hello, is your power steering currently working?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  James replied 1 month ago.

This uses electronic power steering. how long did you drive before the power steering warning came on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My wife drove it for about 2 to 3 minutes this morning, when she had the flat tire. And the power steering light came on. Now after having change the tire, as soon as I start the car, the warning light comes on.
Expert:  James replied 1 month ago.

About the only thing you can try without a scan tool is disconnecting the battery. Since this is a hybrid the system is a little trickier. You need a scan tool that can test and erase codes in the power steering control module. If you have your vin number I can run it for recalls. Some of these models have recalls for the power steering rack.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would an AutoZone be able to test and reset the error codes?
Expert:  James replied 1 month ago.

I wish they could. most part stores can only test for powertrain codes and not chassis codes. It never hurts to ask them though.

Expert:  James replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry there aren't any recalls out on your vehicle. The diagnosis for this would be to attempt to reset the codes and reprogram the power steering control module. If this doesn't correct the concern you install a new power steering module. This is part of the rack. Most likely what I think happen is the tire size from the flat tire shut down the power steering to prevent damage.