Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My sable station wagon is 2001 and has 150,000 miles. Engine

Customer Question

My sable station wagon is 2001 and has 150,000 miles. Engine runs great but oer the years have had numerous small electrical problems. I just have lived with them until this morning. Today I started engine and put it in revers and the engine just dies. Then I start engine and put it in drive and it seems to og forward in drive way. But just now It started and when I put it in Neutral the speedometer gage shot full speed (engine idel didn't change). Then engine started running unevenly and when I put it in reverse or forward it goes a few feet and dies.
JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?
Customer: Not sue but I think so.
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, It seems electrical so I would take it to my mechanic down the street on Monday/.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, except the engine sounds great when I first start it is when I put it in any gear now that it runs irregular and then stalls/dies.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

How long since your last tune up? Do you have a check engine or service engine soon light on when car is running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No engine light on the dash comes on. So the car doesn't signal me that something is wrong.
I an not a mechanic and do not have any test equipment. I will be taking it to my mechanic on Monday. I just want to know what is or might be wrong with it. It starts fine and idles perfectly in PARK. Once I put it tin reverse or forward it dies. the speedometer also goes crazy and hits 140 mph while the engine is still in idle. If I put the car in Neutral the engine begins to miss and waver in RPMS and then dies.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out and see if someone else can help you.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to talk on the phone. Can we talk tomorrow in the moring? do you have my description of the problem?***** *****(###) ###-####

I am camping, i have internet but no phone service. I can type though. Will that work?

Stalling when engaging reverse can be a low line pressure issue inside the transaxle.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris