Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

It starts and usually runs fast and smooth, then after about

Customer Question

it starts and usually runs fast and smooth, then after about 2 seconds, starts to run rough with a hell of a clatter. After driving about 3 or 4 miles it evens out and runs smooth as silk. Its a 86 302in Ford crn victoria
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '86 Ford?
Customer: crown victoria
JA: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just got it back from having head job. I took it back and the mechanic said it was rough from motor mounts, so replaced them. Unfortunately, it does not do it all the time and by the time I drive it to his garage (about 3 miles} it running smooth
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what I have told you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

I would start with having him install a manual oil pressure gauge and monitor the oil pressure when the engine start to clatter. Im thinking that there may be something wrong with the oil pressure causing the pressure to drop which can starve the top end of oil. Have them check the oil pressure while the noise is present and let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.