Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

I have a Ford f150 that came w/o parking assist. I had to

Customer Question

I have a Ford f150 that came w/o parking assist. I had to replace my rear bumper and the auto parts guy had a used one with the parking assist so we bought it. I then bought the parking assist module for the cab and hooked everything up but it's still not working? any ideas? Its a 2012 btw
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, we are doing it ourselves. We just hooked everything up in to the factory plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that should be it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I know on my 2005 F350 with park assist, there was or is also a park assist switch on the dash, did you also install that?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Actually, after looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see one.

I do see a fuse though, so check the f34 fuse in the body control module.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We had checked the fuse last week before we realized we needed the module. I will double check that again. I was wondering if there was something we needed to turn on or if the module need a power supply separate form the wiring harness?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

that fuse I mentioned is the power supply.

make sure you use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light to check both sides of that fuse, with the key on run.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, I was out of town. Anyway we test the fuse with a 12 v test light and both slot and the fuse are lighting up. Based on further research I think the issue is in the software. Online I can see that on the Dash menu if you go to "Settings" > "Driver Assist", there is an option to "Turn off Parking Assist" but I don't have that option because it didn't come from the factory with it. Any idea how to turn that on?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Perhaps with a scan tool and reflash the software in the body control module. Let me see if I can find an answer to that, give me a few minutes.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Check for power to the module, here at step R1,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I don't see yet that it needs anything from the body control module except for voltage from that fuse you checked, so unless the park assist module itself needs to be reflashed, I would check those steps mentioned it that article first, then let me know if a scan tool cannot communicate with that park assist module. I do see it has a wire going to the dlc, so it appears that park assist module communicates directly with a scan tool from the dlc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I just read this, too, "If the vehicle is equipped with an integrated electronic Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module and a trailer with electric trailer brakes is connected to the vehicle, the parking aid system is disabled."

So make sure if you have that hooked up, to unhook it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Any luck yet?