Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a '03 Windstar SEL and the sliding doors are not

Customer Question

I have a '03 Windstar SEL and the sliding doors are not working properly The door starts to open then stops. Tried resetting the relay and the battery to no avail.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: The car has been starting normal
JA: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car starts normal, and the mileage is 185,XXX
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried resetting the battery, ie removing negative for 5 minutes or so, and have tried resetting the relay by removing it for 5 minutes and the same problem still permits.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Ford has released a service bulletin that deals with diagnosing the sliding door system that may help you diagnose the problem you are having. I have enclosed it in the link below. It would also be useful if you can scan the BCM (bldy control ) module and see if there are any B fault code setting which would narrow this down. Post back if you can get me a fault code and I will have a look for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
According to the diagnostic chart it is the Optical Sensor. How do I repair/check this sensor?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The steps to check it should be included in the steps in the service bulletin.