Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Just replaced a head gasket on a 2002 ford windstar 3.8 eng

Customer Question

just replaced a blown head gasket on a 2002 ford windstar 3.8 eng and the car ran rough at first then smoothed out. I looked under and noticed that the front exhaust was red hot. I shut it off immediately. any answers what the problem could be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like either the front catalytic converter is clogged or fuel injector is leaking. You can compare exhaust pressure on both of the oxygen sensor holes to see if pressure is the same, if front has more pressure then converter needs to be replaced. If both are the same which should be under 2-3psi then check for injectors leaking. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know the results, thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a good night.