Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have power seats with memory function from a 2012 F150

Customer Question

I have power seats with memory function from a 2012 F150 Supercrew that I want to put in my 2011F150 XLT Supercrew.
How do I bypass the memory/heated/cooled seat functions and just power the seat adjustments?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I purchased the power seats with memory function from a 2012 F150 Supercrew and want to install them into my 2011 F150 Supercrew
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 month ago.

Hi there.

Did you get switches and wiring harnesses as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The switches are built into the sides of the seats
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the male side of the wiring harness for each seat as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not concerned about the memory function or even the heated/cooled component right now. Just want to make these move. I understand it is neccessarry to bypass the DSM module to do this but I don't have a clue how to do that

The power functions just require power and ground to the switches - memory and cooling/heating just won't work.
Whether you have 6- or 10-way power seats, you can test power functions by connecting the Violet/Red wire to a fused (30 amp) power source, and the Black/White wire to a good ground. Can you try that and let me know if the seats work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll try
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I just try that from a spare battery? Hook the black/white wire to negative and the violet/red to a fused wire on the postive terminal?

Yes you can. All you need is a complete circuit. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks - I will

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
08 September 2016 04:43
Hi - I originally asked this question back in mid august and we got interrupted. After I tried to reopen it today there was a message that said this convo was closed and to ask a new question which I did and you responded. Anyway I have an update should I do it here or on the original conversation?

We can continue on either question, the only caveat is the other must be closed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok - how do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the stars and submit button on the other question are greyed out and won't let me click on it

OK. I'll submit the other question to Customer Service for them to handle/close.

In the mean time, do you have a progress update on those seats?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry got tied up .i'll try this afternoon
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok - Attached is the back side of the male plug for the drivers side. The two largest wires are on the centre line and they are black with a faint violet stripe and the other is yellow with a red stripe. I assume these are the ground and Hot wires. I hooked them up to the battery and the seats don't move.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now attached is the pass male plug and wire ends. The 2 largest wires on this are black with a green stripe and grey with a red stripe. Again I connected them and no movement. There is a black/white wire on each plug but it is a very thin guage. There is a thin guage violet/red wire on the drivers plug but not on the passengers plug. Next Steps?

Uhmm... looks different than what I've got. I'll opt out and reopen this so other experts can chime in.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

This procedure can be done as long as you understand wiring and wiring diagrams.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks - you didn't give me any help - you only offered to help. I had figured the problem out on my own in the meantime. We should close this thread as I don't need help with this now. I may open up another request about the heat/cooled functions in the future.

Since you have already paid the fee to get help would you like me to help on the HVAC issue now or just let this post time out and close on its own.