rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I am about to buy a 2009 Ford Escape. I noted that the spare

Customer Question

I am about to buy a 2009 Ford Escape. I noted that the spare tire is located under the trunk and extremely corroded. I found a hole in the body by the tailgate but I could not insert any part of the ***** *****dle into the hole. I also noted that there was a large bolt also holding the wheel in place under the vehicle. I did not try to remove the bolt although it would seem that this bolt be removed before lowering the wheel. Can this condition be fixed. Can the lowering mechanism be replaced at a reasonable cost.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: I assume the spare tire is original equipment. This is a car I am buying. My guess is that the spare has never been removed. Fortunately, the tires installed on the vehicle are brand new.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't have the vehicle yet. I am 73 and probably won't fix the vehicle myself unless the repair is relatively easy. I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so my physical abilities are limited. I can afford to have the word done if the cost is reasonable.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

The complete spare tire mechanism can be replaced, but the corrosion needs to be addressed as to how bad it is in reference to replacing the assembly for the spare.

It may be to your advantage to have a body shop look at this and give you their opinion too seeing that I can't see it from here.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron