Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 4x4 light has been coming on & off the last couple of

Customer Question

My 4x4 light has been coming on & off the last couple of days in my 2001 navigator. It also makes a grinding sound when I try & start it up & it is difficult to turn & is making a banging sound when I get going to start off. I have 3*****options- A4wd, 4H & 4L & I have the nob on A4wd.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The front of the suv & since Saturday
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't, I have a mechanic I have used. I tried putting it in neutral, & applied the breaks to try & get it to stop, per a suggestion I saw on this page.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if it makes the grinding noise when it is first started or just when it is moving?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When it starts to move

Thank you. Does the*****knob light up when changing positions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The knob dose not light up but the flashing 4x4 light stay light when I change it to 4h or 4l & starts to flash on & off when I'm in A4wd
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry for not getting back with you sooner. I was not available this weekend. Did you still need help with this?