Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2005 Ford F-150 and the Cruise control has stopped working.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Have you checked the fuse/s and/or retrieved any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have not found a fuse location for the cruise control or gotten any trouble codes.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

I'll look up the fuse location, what engine came in this?

Is it a 4wd or rwd?

auto or manual trans?

Did you scan all the modules for codes or are you just saying you didn't try to retrieve codes?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

There are 2 fuses to check, #2 and #14 both in the central junction box, located near right A pillar.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's 4WD Automatic 5.4L and haven't tried to retrieve any codes yet. They want 100 dollars to get them to me...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

well then, about all you can do is check those fuses, did you do that yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am at work and the truck is at home. It will be about 6 hours before I can get to it...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have checked both fuses and they metered out as good. Replaced them anyway and took the truck out but at 50MPH the cruise is still not working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

The next step would be to retrieve the trouble codes.

You can do this yourself for about $35 but you will have to wait until you receive the adapter. Here I made an article how to make your own scan tool.

Here is how to make an inexpensive scan tool from a cellphone.

I bought this phone Alcatel Onetouch Pixi Pulsar A460G from the dollar general store for $20. It has the android system. You don't have to activate the phone or buy minutes, if you have a wireless router for your internet service. If you don't have internet service you can though purchase a USB adapter. The 2 adapters are either the USB which is a physical connection between the vehicle DLC and the phone or even a laptop. The other is WIFI, plus I believe it would work with Bluetooth also. Anyhow, I bought that phone for $20. Then purchase an ELM 327 adapter from here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-wifi-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-for-apple-ios-android-pc/ for the wifi one or here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-usb-cable-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-with-cp2102-chip/ for the usb one.

Then download the free software here, http://forscan.org/download.html

For the usb hookup you want the FORScan version 2.2.10 beta for Windows - free

If you want to go wifi, you will need internet access because you have to install it right from the cellphone from the google store but it's only like $5 for the FORScan Lite 1.1.3 for Android (Core 2.2.8) - paid