HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2012 ford focus. Brand new OEM tcm is not accepting the

Customer Question

2012 ford focus. Brand new OEM tcm is not accepting the programming. At the final stage of the process it says it can't initialize. Why is this? Clutch is new. Actuators are good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it wont reflash the TCM or it wont pass the clutch relearn process? Why are you replacing the TCM? Are you using an IDS scan tool and what level is the software you are using?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure. My mechanic told me that it passes everything until the final step which I guess is to initialize or finalize then it says it can't complete it. The TCM is being replaced because of a coolant leak that shorted it out. I'm not sure about the IDS scan tool. He pulled the software from a ford website.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, its a question of if he is having an issue with the reprogramming of the new module or if it will reprogram and pass diagnostic checks and fails running through the clutch relearn process. I would need to know these things in order to know what direction to direct you in. Also I need to know how he going about reprogramming it.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sort of. I found out that it isn't making it past the clutch relearn process. Still don't know anything about the software or tools being used but they are now receiving a code about the clutch so they're going to replace the clutch tomorrow then try it again.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, this is not unusal for it to take multiple times to relearn the clutch adaptive process which is 3 steps. Relearning the transmission range sensor and the shift fork actuators. It usually times out or fails performing the last/clutch relearn. Long as it was able to reprogram the new tcm that is important. Depending on what code stored would tell more. New TCM's have been defective out of the box from ford. I have had several of them.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

When there are no codes and it wont relearn, it can take several times to relearn the cluch. Most important thing is that the battery has a full charge when performing this process and the diagnostic equipment they are using is at the latest update software version.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh ok. I'll let them know about this information. So even though the module was able to reprogram, is it still possible that it itself could be defective?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

If it is setting a code for the tcm memory failure yes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has a code specific to it's own memory failure?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Yes there are a few technical service bulletins out that says if the tcm pops out these codes, to replace the TCM. There is also extended warranty coverages on the tcm depending on the mileage of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. The new clutch was worn from the bad module due to one of the actuators sticking on so that's goong to be replaced tomorrow. We haven't had any of the other codes show up yet so hopefully the new module is good. But I'll let them know tomorrow about the possibility of a defective module and the fact that it may take multiple tries the complete the relearn process.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Very good, if you need more help just let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating. I can still offer more help if needed after being rated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do. Thank you
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome!

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?