HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Rough start, yes. when it sits overnight, it will start and

Customer Question

rough start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes. when it sits overnight, it will start and idle rough. white smoke at start up, lack of power until warm. truck runs fine after a couple minutes. ficm, heads, and all injectors replaced 2 years ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 03 f250 6.0
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have not done anything yet. not sure where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sounds like one of the pullies has a squeal on cold starts. new belt 4 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, is it white smoke/burning coolant or gray smoke/fuel? You replaced cylinder heads or just gaskets? New Injector cups? Is it low on coolant or oil in the coolant? ANy warning lights on and have you run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gray smoke. smells like diesel more than anything. heads were replaced, with headgaskets. i dont know about injector cups. coolant level has stayed the same since the oil cooler was replaced last. no oil in the degas bottle. do not have a scan tool that will pull codes unless warning lights are on.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, it sounds like a fuel injector is leaking down, causing the gray smoke and running rough on start up until it clears out and warms up. You would need a scan tool to help identify which cylinder is leaking down and a fuel pressure gauge to meaure the fuel pressure and verify leakdown. If the injector cups werent replaced ( which should be new with a new head). It would be a good idea to replace the cups with a new injector if not new.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
excuse me. the heads were machined, when the head gasket was replaced. I can get a scan tool to use, any codes i should be looking for to help.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
would that explain the squeal i am hearing on a cold start?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Depends on where the squeal is coming from. You are looking for misfire codes to identify what cylinder or injector codes for a particular cylinder to help isolate which hole is leaking down.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

If you need more help, please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?