Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 96 f-250 wont start the starter is dragging and the

Customer Question

my 96 f-250 wont start the starter is dragging and the positive battery cable is extremely hot and smoking , negative cable was lose at the block and those threads are stripped so I have moved ground to the radiator support.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Since you have moved the engine ground do you still have a good ground from the battery to the frame?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe so after we moved it and tried to start it the starter was dragging and it had sparks popping off the positive terminal
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like your still dealing with a bad ground providing your starter checks okay. This truck need a good ground from the battery to the frame and then to the engine. Can you recheck this and make sure that is the case? The radiator support has rubber mounts on it and dose not provide a good ground.