EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

One of the rear window on my convertible is not going down.

Customer Question

one of the rear window on my convertible is not going down. I do not hear the motor working
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 120k auto
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. haven't tried anything. Was wondering hoe=w to check to make sure power was getting to the motor?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. To check for power at the suspect window motor, there is a small trim piece that covers that area underneath the quarter window. That trim piece needs to be removed to access the connector for the motor.

Once you have access to the motor connector, you need a test light to check the wires. One of the wires will have power when the window switch is in the UP position. The other wire will have power when the switch is in the DOWN position. You can also supply your own power and ground to the window motor to see if it does actually work. Swapping the power and grounds will reverse the operation of the window motor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looks like there is power to motor

Then it would be a good suspect that the motor needs to be replaced.

You dont have to take the regulator out to replace it. You can just unbolt the 3 screws.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Please rate the assistance today and let me know if you have further questions on this. Thanks.