AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

Thanks for your help, being a novice its nice to have a pro

Customer Question

Thanks for your help, being a novice its nice to have a pro with knowledge. I am removing a 5.8 ltr motor from 1996 f 250 automatic. You gave me step by step instructions. Everything went smooth except for one thing, the torque converter. I have one nut that I can not remove. One stud on the torque converter is spinning along with the nut. 100% my fault-- I tightened it not loosened. Don't laugh! any ideas on what to do now? I am in no hurry this is a "back up" truck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 month ago.

Welcome back! Ok... so, the stud broke free from the torque converter, and now you basically have the torque converter stud stuck to the flex plate, right?

I believe that's the issue if I understand correctly. That happens. If that's the case, you can remove the engine with that stud in the flex plate since it's not attached to the torque converter . Once the engine is removed you can get the stud out with a crescent wrench on the back side of the stud and your impact wrench or ratchet on the nut. I have attached an image of the stud. The arrow shows where it most likely broke free at. You'll see what I mean about using a crescent wrench after the engine is removed

Please let me know if that helps or not. I want to make sure you got the answers you came here for.