Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles

Last month I was on a road trip and the check engine light

Customer Question

Hi! Last month I was on a road trip and the check engine light came on (P0301). I have 2003 European Ford Escape. I went to a shop and we cleaned the spark plugs. The light didn't come back on for a couple of weeks. Then it happened again. Tried to change the plugs but nothing. Now I took it again to the garage and they changed all plugs and coils but after 4 days the light came back on.
I am under the impression that they are having troubles fixing it (I was already there twice: the first time they resetted the light and the second time I made them switch the parts. Now I am a bit lost. Is there something I can do on my own or it really needs thorougher diagnostics?
Thanks a lot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey Sam

how are you ,sorry you having this problem

1- If the spark plug & coil been changed , then we need to check the injector # 1 P0301 misfire #1 ,if the injector is firing on that cylinder?

2- do a compression test on cylinder #1 that code keep coming back

3- we need to check the fuel pressure ,to see up to specs

4- can you get me fuel trims reading , short term & long term fuel trim readings.

5- Vacuum leak around the intake especially where #1 is to see if you are sucking air there & causing the misfire

it look like they dont know the cause of it, they looked at p0301 & decided ok misfire on #1 change the plugs & wires ,but that did not solve it

so they are stuck ,do they have capable scanners ,from what you know

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat