A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 12 mustang v6 3.7 yesterday i was waiting for my gf

Customer Question

I have a 12 mustang v6 3.7 yesterday i was waiting for my gf to get out of work and all of the suden my steering wheel turns a a bit and now it say service power steering and at the same time the service advance trac came on... on my dash my 2 trac control lights on.. do you have any idea what it is.. i read all over online and all it said that it was a know isse and take it to ford to reset computer and codes?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

You will need to have the modules scanned for trouble codes. The power steering rack and pinion (PSCM), the Anti-loc Brake module (ABS) or the Engine Computer (PCM) will have trouble codes in them. We will need to trouble codes to identify what could be causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well basically your telling me what ive read so far.. take it to dealership... no way of reseting trouble codes at all?

No, resetting will not fix the problem. Problems like the one you have is caused by a module or a sensor problem. If you can give me the VIN#, I can do a little digging through Fords database.

Also how many miles on the Mustang?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
78000k miles vin number 1zvbp8am8b5159954 how can i check if there any recalls on that car or anything?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also security system fault appears every now and then.. and air bag light on i bought like that.. any clue?

No recalls on the power steering on the throttle body, but you do have an air bag inflator recall on the drivers side air bag. You will need to al least have the codes tested. We have seen issues with the throttle body causing problems. But trouble codes will need to be retrieved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well i guess ill take it to the dealership then

If the power steering rack is the problem, they are the best to do the repair as the PSCM is a module and will need to be programed to the vehicle and they have the proper scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read online that ford will not service the pscm they will want to replace all rack and pinion