Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

My vehicle is a 30' rv with v10 engine. The battery red

Customer Question

My vehicle is a 30' rv with v10 engine. The battery red light is on. Nearest service is 50 miles. I can start the engine with the auxiliary (coach) batteries.
If the problem is the alternator, will it or hasn't seized which will destroy the belt, or will it rotate free?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. When the Alternator fails, more times than not, it's an internal electrical problem. When this is the case, the pulley will continue to spin freely and no damage to the belt will occur. IF there is a grinding/humming noise coming from the Alternator, then this is a sign of the bearings internal being at fault. When this is the case, there is a chance the pulley can seize and cause damage to the belt. This usually isn't the case, however, and not as common as the general electrical failure. So if there is no unusual noise coming from the alternator, chances are slim that it will seize and break the belt. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Tom! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.